Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Bray

BRAY.

Bray is situated on State Highway 29, nine miles due east of Marlow in north-central Stephens County. The town lies between Clear Creek Lake and Lake Fuqua. The local post office was designated in November 1908, with the community taking the last name of the first postmaster, Thomas W. Bray.

In 1909 Bray supported a general store, a blacksmith, a constable, a physician, and two teachers, as well as four grain and livestock enterprises. Ten years later the town had a grist mill, general store, grocery, and restaurant, in addition to a Union church and public school. The unincorporated community continued through the next five decades with its cotton gin, a small store, and post office, all located along the highway, forming a small central business district. In addition to cotton farming, oil and gas activity attracted much attention over the years. In 1977 members of the Bray community incorporated the town to avoid annexation by Marlow or Duncan. Encompassing a total of sixty-six square miles, larger than many major cities, the town had a main street that extended for eight miles. Despite the expansive city limits, the town remained overwhelmingly rural.

In the late 1910s Bray had an unofficial population of 55. At the time of its incorporation in June 1977 the number stood at 650. Included in the federal census for the first time in 1980, the population had declined to 591. A significant boom occurred in the following decade, and by 1990 the town claimed 925 citizens. This number continued to climb; in 2000 there were 1,035 persons residing within the city limits, and the number grew to 1,209 in 2010. The town has never had a local newspaper. Most residents worked in nearby larger towns.

Cynthia Savage

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 28 December 1948, 20 June 1977, and 10 November 1985.

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1909–1910 (Memphis, Tenn. and Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1909).

Oklahoma State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918–1919 (Detroit, Mich.: R. L. Polk and Co., 1918).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Cynthia Savage, "Bray," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 21, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia