Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Burbank

BURBANK.

An incorporated town in western Osage County, Burbank is situated just north of U.S. Highway 60, twenty-two miles west of the Osage County seat of Pawhuska and 122 miles northeast of Oklahoma City. Burbank was established on the Eastern Oklahoma Railway in 1903 and was reportedly named for a cocklebur-covered area along nearby Salt Creek. The town's founder was Anthony "Gabe" Carlton, a mixed-blood Osage and a Chouteau family descendant, who owned the townsite. The Burbank post office opened inside the store of Ira McCorkle, the town's first postmaster, in December 1907.

Burbank evolved as a farming and ranching community. Early businesses included two grain elevators, a boarding house, several stores, and a bank. The town had approximately two hundred residents when oilman Ernest W. Marland discovered the Burbank oil field north and east of town on May 14, 1920. As a result, Burbank became a boomtown and a center of oil-field activity. The Burbank Tribune, the town's lone newspaper, was published briefly starting in 1921.

The Burbank Field produced more than thirty-one million barrels of oil in 1923. The Phillips Petroleum Company and the Sinclair Oil and Gas Company built large refineries near town. Hotels, grocery stores, lumberyards, and caf├ęs served the legion of oil-field workers, many of whom earned as much as eighteen dollars a day. At the height of the boom Burbank's population was about three thousand. Among that number were bootleggers, gamblers, prostitutes, and other undesirables. Violence was commonplace.

Burbank declined with the oil boom during the Great Depression. Agriculture subsequently supported the local economy, with cattle and grain as principal commodities. The town had 372 residents in 1930 and 329 in 1940. That number continued to dwindle, however, and fell from 268 in 1950 to 188 in 1970. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, purchaser of the Eastern Oklahoma Railway in 1907, abandoned its line through Burbank in 1971.

Burbank was a community of 155 citizens in 2000. Three commercial enterprises operated there in 2002, including two construction firms and one real estate business. The town continued to maintain an elementary school and a post office. The number of residents declined to 141 in 2010. The Bank of Burbank is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 84000314).

Jon D. May

See also: OIL-FIELD CULTURE, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Burbank," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Kenny A. Franks, The Osage Oil Boom (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1989).

Osage County Profiles (Pawhuska, Okla.: Osage County Historical Society, 1978).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Burbank," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia