Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Burbank Field

BURBANK FIELD.

About twenty miles east of Ponca City in east-central Osage County lies the community of Burbank. Near there on May 8, 1920, the Marland Oil Company completed the Burbank discovery well on the Bertha Hickman farm. The initial discovery produced 150 barrels of oil per day from the Burbank sand at a depth of 2,949 to 3,001 feet, and later that year the Roxana Petroleum Company brought in another well at 3,450 barrels per day in the same general area. At first the wells were thought to be from separate fields, but as drilling proceeded they were all found to be connected. The field eventually grew to thirty-three square miles located principally in Osage County, but with a small extension into Kay County. The field had its highest production from 1920 through 1924 with twenty million to thirty-one million barrels annually and a peak production day of 121,700 barrels on July 21, 1923.

Although an important area, the Burbank Field never experienced the runaway booms of other fields. Burbank was dominated by major companies, including Marland, Roxana, Carter Oil Company, Gypsy Oil Company, Waite Phillips, Phillips Petroleum Company, Skelly Oil Company, and Comar Oil Company, who banded together and agreed to drill on ten-acre spacing for oil conservation purposes. Additionally, leases here were obtained through the federally controlled Osage Indian Reservation auctions, which auctioned off leases for 160-acre tracts and divided the proceeds equally among tribe members. From 1912 to 1928 twenty-eight of these auctions sold a total of seven hundred thousand acres, making the Osage very wealthy.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: MILLION DOLLAR ELM, OSAGE OIL, PETROLEUM INDUSTRY, COLONEL ELLSWORTH WALTERS

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Oklahoma Petroleum Industry (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980).

Kenny A. Franks, The Osage Oil Boom (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Heritage Association, 1989).

Bess Mills-Bullard, comp., "Digest of Oklahoma Oil and Gas Fields," in Oil and Gas in Oklahoma, Oklahoma Geological Survey Bulletin 40, Vol. 1 (Norman: Oklahoma Geological Survey, 1928).

Carl Coke Rister, Oil! Titan of the Southwest (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1949).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Burbank Field," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia