Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Camp Washita

CAMP WASHITA.

Established in 1834 by Companies A and C of the Third Infantry, Capt. James Dean commanding, Camp Washita served as a forward base for the Dodge-Leavenworth Expedition. In June 1834 Captain Dean's troops proceeded to clear a road from Fort Towson to the mouth of the Washita River, where they had been ordered to construct a blockhouse and a barracks.

The Dodge-Leavenworth Expedition left Fort Gibson on June 15, 1834. After marching some two hundred miles toward the southwest, Brig. Gen. Henry Leavenworth's advance party reached Camp Washita on June 29. Accompanying Leavenworth was artist George Catlin. The First Dragoon Regiment, led by Lt. Col. Stephen Watts Kearny, arrived at the encampment on July 1.

Nearly one-half of the some five hundred dragoons were ill at Camp Washita, and many died. All capable troops resumed their march on July 3. Colonel Kearny was placed in command of the campsite where the sick soldiers and some seventy-five disabled horses and mules remained. After completing their mission, the dragoons bypassed Camp Washita and returned to Fort Gibson via the Canadian River. Camp Washita was abandoned in autumn 1834.

The precise location of Camp Washita is uncertain. According to artist George Catlin, it was situated "on the point of land between the Red and False Washita rivers, at their junction." Historian Muriel H. Wright placed the campground along Rock Creek southwest of Platter in Bryan County. Both sites now lie under Lake Texoma.

Jon D. May

See also: GEORGE CATLIN, DODGE-LEAVENWORTH EXPEDITION, WESTWARD EXPANSION

Bibliography

Brad Agnew, Fort Gibson: Terminal on the Trail of Tears (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980).

Grant Foreman, Pioneer Days in the Early Southwest (Cleveland, Ohio: Arthur H. Clark Co., 1926).

William Brown Morrison, Military Posts and Camps in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City: Harlow Publishing, 1936).

George H. Shirk, "Peace on the Plains," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 28 (Spring 1950).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Camp Washita ," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia