Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Cimarron City

CIMARRON CITY.

A rural settlement located in far west-central Logan County, Cimarron City takes its name from the nearby Cimarron River, which flows through the town's southwest portion. The Logan County community founded in 1973 is not to be confused with two short-lived Cimarrons established in the newly opened Unassigned Lands region in 1889, one an African American town in Kingfisher County and the other a postal center in Payne County. Cimarron City is located two miles south of Crescent and two miles west of U.S. 74, and ten miles west of Guthrie, the county seat. Some scattered residential property existed in the area as early as the 1960s around Lake Lattawanna, which lies to the north. The area is in the Cimarron River drainage.

the town's southwest portion. The Logan County community founded in 1973 is not to be confused with two short-lived Cimarrons established in the newly opened Unassigned Lands region in 1889, one an African American town in Kingfisher County and the other a postal center in Payne County. Cimarron City is located two miles south of Crescent and two miles west of U.S. 74, and ten miles west of Guthrie, the county seat. Some scattered residential property existed in the area as early as the 1960s around Lake Lattawanna, which lies to the north. The area is in the Cimarron River drainage.

In July 1973 the one-thousand-acre Cimarron City was platted and incorporated by developers J. L. Swaim, a former Oklahoma resident residing in Chico, California, and real estate dealer Don McLaughlin, of Oklahoma City. Leon Spitz, an Oklahoma City engineer, designed the residential section. The community grew very slowly as homes were constructed by families and retirees interested in a rural ambience. Within the town limits is Cedar Cove Lake. The town incorporated in 1974, and the 1980 census reported 35 residents. By 1990 that number had doubled, and a service station and a bar operated there. In 2000 the town's 1.59 square miles had a population of 110. Virtually all of its employed residents, 40 percent of whom were in management or the professions, commuted to jobs in nearby Guthrie, Edmond, Crescent, or Oklahoma City. The 2010 census counted 150 inhabitants.

Dianna Everett

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Cimarron City," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Profiles of America, Vol. 2 (2d ed.; Millerton, N.Y.: Grey House Publishing, 2003).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Cimarron City," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia