Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Cooperton

COOPERTON.

The Kiowa County incorporated community of Cooperton is located fourteen miles south of Gotebo and nine miles east of Roosevelt. Situated along State Highway 54/19, which passes north-south through town, Cooperton lies in a farming and ranching region. Originally called Cooper, the community was planned in 1899 by Frank Cooper, who had organized a settlement company in anticipation of the opening of the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache Reservation in August 1901. When he learned that the reservation would be opened with a lottery instead of a run, Cooper asked for and received 320 acres for his company members. He planned the settlement to be at the foot of the Wichita Mountains, about two miles east of the town's present location. However, an error was made when the townsite was registered. Later the name had to be changed to Cooperton, as there was already a Cooper in present Blaine County, Oklahoma.

Cooperton grew and soon had eighteen businesses and a town board and expected a railroad. The first general store and post office were in a small building. Other businesses included a second general store, livery stable, drug store, bank, hardware store, and cotton gin. Also coming to town were a cigar factory, mill, blacksmith shop, and two hotels. Churches and a school were built, and a newspaper, the Cooperton Banner, was published.

By 1910 Cooperton had one hundred residents. Despite its failure to acquire a railroad, the town grew gradually until 1940, when the population reached 187. Over the years the schools disbanded, students transferred, and people moved on. The 1960 population was 106, and the 1980 number was 31. By 2000 there were only 20 residents remaining. In 2010 Cooperton had 16 inhabitants.

Ethel Crisp Taylor

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Cooperton," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Dorothea L. Dudgeon, "Cooperton Valley," in Pioneering in Kiowa County, Vol. 1 (Hobart, Okla.: Kiowa County Historical Society, 1975).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Ethel Crisp Taylor, "Cooperton," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia