Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fallis

FALLIS.

Located in western Lincoln County, Fallis is situated on a paved county road five miles northwest of Wellston. Originally known as Mission, the town was established on the western edge of the Iowa Reservation. In 1894 the name was changed to Fallis for its prime developer and first postmaster, Judge William H. Fallis. Due to its location in the productive valley of Bear and Mission creeks and the Deep Fork River and at a crossroads of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway and the Fort Smith and Western Railroad, the community became an agricultural trade center. In 1903 fourteen thousand acres around Fallis produced 10,500 bales of cotton worth a half-million dollars. In 1904 the county's first oil well was drilled nearby. At 1907 statehood the population was 321.

Fallis was home to many African Americans. In 1904 one of its two newspapers, the Fallis Blade, had a black editor. Well-known African Americans born in Fallis include Oklahoma educator Frederick Douglass Moon, U.S. Medal of Honor recipient Riley L. Pitts, and Radio Hall of Fame inductee Jesse B. Blayton, Sr. Other newspapers serving Fallis residents included the Star and the Gazette.

After its commercial prosperity ended, Fallis became known as an artist's community. Well-known juvenile fiction writers Blanche Seale Hunt and Aletha Caldwell Conner, Oklahoma poet laureate Jennie Harris Oliver, and novelist Vingie Roe moved there because of the town's rustic, inspirational surroundings. Roe used Fallis as the setting for A Devine Egotist (1916). Fallis's population gradually declined and was 173 by 1930. At the turn of the twenty-first century the population had declined to 28 from 105 in 1950. In 2010 it stood at 27. Fallis maintained a fire station, with twenty volunteer firefighters, and a community building, which was constructed in 1999.

Jan Vassar

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

"Fallis," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Lincoln County, Oklahoma History (Chandler, Okla.: Lincoln County Historical Society, 1988).

John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1977).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jan Vassar, "Fallis," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia