Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Gracemont

GRACEMONT.

Gracemont is located in the east-central portion of Caddo County on Sugar Creek. The town is situated on U.S. Highway 281, also known as State Highway 8, nine miles north of Anadarko. In January 1902 G. A. and Alice L. Bailey attained a postal designation for the area under the name of Ison. The following year the Enid and Anadarko Railroad, a subsidiary of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway, completed a branch line between Bridgeport and Anadarko. In 1903 the name of the community was formally changed to Gracemont, and the town incorporated in 1917.

During the first six decades of the twentieth century agriculture largely fueled Gracemont's economic growth. The community drew farmers from the nearby fertile valleys of Sugar Creek, Spring Creek, and White Bead Creek. By the mid-1930s the town had twenty-three businesses, including three gins and a grain elevator. In the 1960s the oil boom occurring in the area and state spurred a bevy of local activity that lasted for two decades. When the oil boom collapsed in the 1980s, Gracemont's economy returned to dependence on the surrounding agricultural community.

In 1920 the community included 266 residents. Significant growth occurred in the 1920s to bring the population to 394 by 1930. Declining slightly over the next decade, Gracemont's population stood at 328 in 1940. Over the next two decades the town retained a fairly stable population of 301 in 1950 and 306 in 1960. Reflecting the oil surge, the population reached 424 in 1970 and continued to grow until the all-time high of 503 was achieved in 1980. By 1990 the number of residents had fallen to 339. Stabilized once again, the population held at 336 in 2000. The town had 318 in 2010. At the turn of the twenty-first century Gracemont had no newspaper but had been home to three, the Gracemont Graphic, the Gracemont Herald, and the Gracemont Progress. The town operates under the commission form of government.

Cynthia Savage

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Mrs. Alice L. Bailey, "Pioneering at Gracemont," interview, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Elbert G. Cook, "The Story of Early Gracemont, The Establishment and Growth of a Town [manuscript, August 1992]," Anadarko Public Library, Anadarko, Oklahoma.

"Gracemont" Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Cynthia Savage, "Gracemont," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia