Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Greater Seminole Field

GREATER SEMINOLE FIELD.

By 1923 oil discoveries in Oklahoma had put the state in the forefront of national petroleum production, but beyond some minor, short-term activity Seminole County had very little production. Then on March 16, 1923, the R. H. Smith Number One Betsy Foster near the town of Wewoka came in at twenty-eight hundred barrels per day, establishing the Wewoka Field. After that, drilling activity in the immediate vicinity began to produce results. On October 2, 1923, the Cromwell Field opened, and on December 9, 1924, the Bethel Field was discovered. Slightly more than a year later, on March 1, 1926, the Morgan and Flynn Number One Ingram opened the Earlsboro Field, and six days later the eleven-hundred-barrel Jones Number One, drilled by the Indian Territory Illuminating Oil Company (ITIO), opened the Seminole City Field. Ultimately, thirty-nine separate oil pools developed within a region that centered on Seminole County but also included parts of Pottawatomie, Okfuskee, Hughes, and Pontotoc counties. Peak production for one day came on July 30, 1927, when 527,400 barrels were pumped, and from 1927 through 1929 the district annually produced from 150 million to 200 million barrels of oil. At one point, runaway production drove the price of oil down to seventeen cents per barrel.

The name Greater Seminole Field was adopted in summer 1926 when operators from the various fields met to discuss voluntary proration, well spacing, and production control. At one of those meetings it became clear that some term was needed to identify all of the small fields in the area, and the suggestion of Greater Seminole Field, made by Paul Hedrick, oil editor of the Tulsa World, was adopted. The Greater Seminole was the last Oklahoma petroleum field allowed to practice unbridled oil production, and the excesses of the area had much to do with major state oil and gas conservation reforms enacted in the 1930s.

Bobby D. Weaver

See also: PETROLEUM INDUSTRY

Bibliography

Kenny A. Franks, The Oklahoma Petroleum Industry (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1980).

Carl Coke Rister, Oil! Titan of the Southwest (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1949).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, "Greater Seminole Field," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia