Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Kemp

KEMP.

Located in Bryan County, Kemp is three miles east of Hendrix and one-half mile east of County Road N3740. Originally known as Warner Springs, the community attracted settlers in the 1880s, because local springs provided water. Most of these early residents belonged to the Chickasaw tribe, and the town was situated in Panola County, Chickasaw Nation. Circa 1890 the town name changed to Kemp, in honor of prominent Chickasaw Jackson Kemp. In 1890 the Post Office Department designated a post office at the townsite.

The 1900 population stood at 221. In 1909, as the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway (MO&G) bypassed the town while laying tracks south to Texas, Kemp's estimated population was five hundred. Prior to railroad construction, the town supported a bank and was a trade center for fifteen to seventeen square miles of prime agricultural land that produced large crops of cotton and corn. Several businesses and the bank relocated to the new community of Kemp City, later Hendrix, on the railway, but other businesses moved to Achille, over seven miles north of Kemp, also on the MO&G. In 1918 Kemp still had a telephone company, three general stores, two grocers, three physicians, a drugstore, an undertaker, a blacksmith, a cotton gin, and a hotel. In 1920 the population was 396, and it declined to 186 in 1930.

In 1960 the population was 153, and Kemp still served as a farming community. In 1968 the school closed, and the students were sent to Yuba. The town converted the school building into a community center. The 2000 census reported 144 residents, and in 2010 Kemp had declined to 133 people.

Larry O'Dell

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

The History of Bryan County, Oklahoma (Durant, Okla.: Bryan County Heritage Association, 1983).

"Kemp," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "Kemp," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia