Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Keota

KEOTA.

Located in northeastern Haskell County on State Highway 9, two miles east of its junction with State Highway 26, Keota is thirty-eight miles west of Fort Smith, Arkansas, and twenty miles south-southwest of Sallisaw. In 1904 the town was founded in the waning days of the Choctaw Nation by the Midland Valley Railroad's land company, and the Post Office Department established a post office there in 1905. Keota's name is something of a mystery. Some believe it is a Choctaw word meaning "fire gone out." Many locals insist it comes from the combination of the words "Keese," from Jim Keese, the rancher who owned the land where the townsite was located, and "Otter," for Otter Creek, a lazy tributary to Sans Bois Creek that winds its way through town.

Whatever the meaning of the name Keota, its story was similar to most of the towns in Haskell County that flourished until the onset of the Great Depression. In 1911 the town supported a bank, three grocers, two hardware stores, a hotel, three general stores, a drugstore, and a lumberyard. Neither of its two newspapers, the Keota Review and the Keota Record, were long lived. Keota's role of supporting the local cotton growers and shipping the products of their labor to market crashed just like the stock market. The 1920 population stood at 494, dropping to 470 in 1930.

In 1940 the population climbed to 619, and it reached a high of 685 by 1970. Transportation has once again been Keota's salvation, but instead of the railroad, Keota at the turn of the twenty-first century is the home to the "Port of Keota," a stop on the busy McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System. Perhaps because of the port, or because of the community's location on the banks of Kerr Lake, light industry was beginning to be drawn to the town at the end of the twentieth century. The nearby Otter Creek Archaeological Site (NR 74001661) is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The 2000 census registered 517 residents and the 2010 census, 564.

Glenn O. Hyder

See also: McCLELLAN-KERR ARKANSAS RIVER NAVIGATION SYSTEM, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

John R. Gilday and Mark H. Salt, eds., Oklahoma History, South of the Canadian: Historical and Biographical (Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1925).

Haskell County History: Indian Territory to 1988 (N.p.: Haskell County Historical Society, 1989).

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (2d ed.; Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Glenn O. Hyder, "Keota," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 17, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia