Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Lone Wolf

LONE WOLF.

The Kiowa County community of Lone Wolf is situated nine miles west of Hobart on State Highways 9 and 44. Lone Wolf's main street, State Highway 9, intersects with State Highway 44 on the town's eastern edge. Lone Wolf is located about six miles east of the North Fork of the Red River and the Kiowa-Greer county line. The Texas and Oklahoma Railroad runs in a northeasterly direction through town.

Lone Wolf was founded upon the opening of the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache Reservation in August 1901. Established along the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway, the settlement was quickly populated and named for Kiowa Chief Lone Wolf. The community's first business was a restaurant operated by Mark Sauerberg and his partner, Hance Van Rankin. Chief Lone Wolf and his wife and son were their first customers.

Other early businesses included Sauerberg's dray business, three lumberyards, a feed store, one hardware store, a drug store, two doctors, one dentist, two banks, five cotton gins, five grain elevators, three general stores, one livery stable, and saloons. Two wells located south and west of town supplied fresh water. Schools and churches were built, and farming was the major industry.

By 1907 statehood Lone Wolf's population was 337. That figure grew from 677 in 1910 to 1,023 in 1930. As with many rural communities, Lone Wolf's generations grew up and moved on to pursue careers elsewhere. As a result, the number of residents dropped from 783 in 1940 to 500 in 2000 and to 438 in 2010. The area's small farms have been absorbed into larger holdings, but cotton and wheat remain important to the local economy. Lone Wolf was the birthplace of Gen. LaVern E. Weber (1923–1999).

Ethel Crisp Taylor

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Clyde Callahan, "Lone Wolf," in Pioneering in Kiowa County, Vol. 1 (Hobart, Okla.: Kiowa County Historical Society, 1975).

"Lone Wolf," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Ethel Crisp Taylor, "Lone Wolf," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 21, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia