Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  North Miami

NORTH MIAMI.

Located in Ottawa County, North Miami is four miles north of Miami on U.S. Highway 69, historic U.S. Highway 66. In 1914 Commerce's first post office held the name North Miami, but it soon changed, and in 1915 present North Miami received this postal designation, with Sarah Dennis serving as postmaster. The town is located approximately on the border of land that the federal government had designated for the Quapaw tribe to the north and the Peoria tribe to the south.

Serving the lead and zinc mining industry, the Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri Inter-Urban Railway (OK&M), which built its line in 1908–09, ran through the town on its way to Commerce and other mining locations. Many miners lived in North Miami, and in 1920 the population stood at 483. The community's proximity to Miami and Commerce and the interurban system of the Northeast Oklahoma Railroad (NEO), which bought the OK&M in 1919, led residents to conduct much of their business outside of the incorporated town. The population climbed to 503 in 1930, declined to 393 in 1940, and rebounded to 486 in 1950. In 1955 three grocery stores, a service station, a retail outlet, and a gas station served the residents.

In 1970 there were 503 inhabitants. The area lies within the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Superfund Site program, which the federal government initiated in 1983. In 2000 the population stood at 433. Nearly 94 percent of working residents commute to work, with 60 percent traveling less than fifteen minutes. The 2010 census counted 374 citizens. North Miami remained a "bedroom" community for larger Ottawa County towns.

Larry O'Dell

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS, TRI-STATE LEAD AND ZINC DISTRICT

Bibliography

Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 23 September 1917.

Velma Nieberding, The History of Ottawa County (Miami, Okla.: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1983).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Larry O'Dell, "North Miami," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 19, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia