Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Terral

TERRAL.

Located in Jefferson County, Terral is an incorporated community situated east of U.S. Highway 81, twenty miles south of Waurika and one mile north of the Red River. The town was named in honor of John Heidelburg Dace Terral, its founder and first postmaster. The post office was established August 8, 1892, when Terral was located in Pickens County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory.

John H. D. Terral moved to the present townsite from Montague County, Texas, in 1892. He did so after learning that the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway would span Oklahoma and Indian territories south from Wichita, Kansas, to the Red River. Terral leased land from Emily Colbert Fleetwood, a Chickasaw, and platted his town with the assistance of Hugh Schoolfield. The first lots were sold in May 1892.

Terral grew as an agricultural community and had 583 residents in 1907. That year local farmers grew an abundance of watermelons. Other important commodities were cotton, cattle, and hogs. Local ranchers marketed their livestock at Fort Worth, Texas, ninety miles away. Terral had more than twenty businesses in 1908, including a lumberyard and two cotton gins. Early community newspapers were the Terral Times, Terral Weekly Times, and Terral Tribune.

Little had changed in Terral by 1930. The town's population was 593, and farmers continued to grow cotton and bumper crops of watermelons and cantaloupes. There was a consolidated school for the children, a civic auditorium, three churches, and nearly one hundred telephone connections. The Rock Island Railway and a bus line provided transportation. In 1950 Terral had 616 residents.

Terral's population declined from a peak of 636 in 1970 to 386 in 2000 to 382 in 2010. The Terral High School closed in 1987 with only twenty-eight students enrolled. Agriculture, however, remained the backbone of the local economy. Since 1965 Terral's residents have celebrated their farming heritage with the Terral Watermelon Jubilee each July. At the turn of the twenty-first century Terral had no newspaper.

Jon D. May

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

Jim M. Dyer, History of Jefferson County, Oklahoma (N.p.: N.p., 1957).

Hunter James, "Terral, Oklahoma, Fruit Growing Center," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 7 (September 1908).

"Terral," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, "Terral," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia