Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Warner

WARNER.

Situated in Muskogee County, Warner lies twenty miles south of Muskogee on U. S. Highway 64. State Highway 2 links the town to points south, and Interstate 40 links Warner with places to the east and west. The history of Warner began with the formation of two rural communities, Bennett and Hereford, in the Canadian District in the southern part of the Cherokee Nation. Bennett, located three miles southwest of present Warner, had a post office from 1895 until 1904. In 2001 a lone cemetery, still in use and maintained by the Warner Cemeteries Association, comprised Bennett. Hereford, located on the present site of Warner in the southwestern part of the county, was established in 1903. The town name came from a registered herd of Hereford cattle owned by rancher and developer Campbell Russell. In 1905 the name Hereford was changed to Warner, honoring U.S. Sen. William Warner of Missouri. In 1909 the community had an estimated population of three hundred.

The first federal census for Warner reported 318 residents in 1920. In 1930 the population had declined to 316. In 1940 and 1950 the town had 391 and 382 citizens, respectively. Numbers increased to 881 in 1960 and 1,217 in 1970. In 1990 the town had 1,479 inhabitants and 1,430 were counted in 2000.

Early commercial agriculture included corn, garden produce, hogs, chickens, eggs, butter, and cream. In 1908 the forerunner of Connors State Agricultural College was founded in Warner. At the turn of the twenty-first century Connors maintained two campuses, one in Warner and the other in Muskogee. Renamed Connors State College, the school's 2001 projected fall enrollment on the Warner Campus was between 975 and 1,000 students. Connors State College Educational Services provided the town with its largest employer. The 2010 census reported that Warner sheltered 1,641 residents.

Haskell J. Hartin

See also: SETTLEMENT PATTERNS

Bibliography

George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1965).

"Warner," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Haskell J. Hartin, "Warner," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia