August 12, 2019
New Oklahoma National Register Listings
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce the newest National Register of Historic Places listings for Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
The 1923 First Church of Christ, Scientist, at 302 N. Seventh St. in Muskogee, Muskogee County, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance. Built in 1912 and altered in 1923, the building is an excellent local example of a late 19th- to early 20th-century Revival/Mission Revival building constructed in 1923.
The Enid Downtown Historic District (Update and Boundary Increase) is a commercial district in Enid, Garfield County. Covering portions of 21 blocks in the central business district, the Enid Downtown Historic District contains the majority of historic commercial development in Enid that retains its integrity of feeling and association. The vast majority of downtown buildings date to a period from 1900 to 1968 and echo the styles and trends of those time periods. The Enid Downtown Historic District is significant in the role of commerce in Enid as well as for its significant architectural styles.
Ponca City, Kay County, has five new additions to the National Register of Historic Places whose designations were funded in part by the City of Ponca City and the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office. The Charlotte Marland House at 919 E. Grand Ave. is recognized as an outstanding local example of early 20th-century Italian Renaissance Revival architecture. Built between 1914 and 1916, the house was designed by architect George Forsyth on land acquired by famous Ponca City oilman E. W. Marland. Forsyth designed the house for Marland’s older sister, Charlotte. The First Presbyterian Church at 200 N. 14th St. is significant as a locally distinct example of the Modern Movement architectural style. Designed by architects Charles and John Shaver, with assistance from local architect William R. Brown, the First Presbyterian Church was dedicated in 1955. Located just east of the BNSF railroad tracks near downtown Ponca City, the Ponca City Milling Company Elevator dominates the skyline. The Ponca City Milling Company Elevator is significant for its association with commerce in Ponca City between 1922 and 1959. Independently owned and operated by the locally prominent Donahoe family for the majority of its most productive years, the Ponca City Milling Company Elevator is a complex that includes a single-story office/flour storage area, a six-story flour mill, a concrete grain elevator and a large set of concrete, cylindrical grain storage bins. Though vacant today, the Ponca City Milling Company Elevator remains the largest and best-preserved example of a flour milling and grain storage operation in the community. Situated approximately one mile north of downtown Ponca City and west of the railroad tracks, the Ponca City Power Plant (also known as the Municipal Light and Power Plant) is significant for its role in community planning and development. Built in 1927 and located at 1420 N. Union St., the main building provided a reliable source of electrical power to Ponca City and the surrounding area. By making possible all aspects of daily home, work and school life, the power plant was integral to the development of Ponca City. Temple Emanuel was designed by Ponca City architect G. Harold Kanady and was constructed in 1964. The temple represented the structural center of worship for a small but thriving Jewish community in Ponca City and the surrounding area by the mid-20th century. It is significant for its Modern architectural design.
Oklahoma City has two new additions to the National Register of Historic Places. The Capitol Hill Commercial Historic District, sponsored in part by the City of Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office, is primarily a commercial historic district located south of the Canadian River. The Capitol Hill Commercial Historic District is significant in the area of community planning and development from 1910 to 1974. The second property to be added to the National Register of Historic Places in Oklahoma City is Stonegate Elementary School located at 2525 NW 112th St. Stonegate Elementary School is significant for its association with educational development in Oklahoma City and as an example of the Modern Movement style of architecture as applied to a public school.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.
Editor’s Note: Photographs to accompany the story can be acquired by contacting Sara Werneke at the Oklahoma State Historic Preservation Office at email@example.com.