Home |   About OHS | Press Room | Press Release

Press Release

July 7, 2020

Contact: Shea J. Otley
State Historic Preservation Office, Oklahoma Historical Society
Office: 405-522-4485
sjotley@okhistory.org
www.okhistory.org/shpo

Kiowa County Farm Owners Receive Centennial Farm Awards

OKLAHOMA CITY — Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer Lynda Ozan announced that Oklahoma Centennial Farm Awards have been presented to the owners of four Kiowa County farms.

Don Ellis of Roosevelt owns the Thomas P. Brannon/Ellis Family South East Farm located in the vicinity of Roosevelt. The family has grown wheat and raised cattle since grandfather Thomas P. Brannon settled the land in 1908.

Gaynelle Gray and Janice Ellis own the Thomas P. Brannon/Ellis Home Place located in the vicinity of Roosevelt. The family has grown wheat and raised cattle since grandfather Thomas P. Brannon settled the land in 1919.

Alvin and Sue Funkhouser of Hobart own the Gabriel and Delia Sewell Home Place located in the vicinity of Hobart. The family has grown wheat and oats and raised cattle since grandfather Gabriel Sewell settled the land in 1919.

Jimmy and Diane Johnson of Tuttle own Johnson Homestead located in the vicinity of Lone Wolf. The family has grown wheat, cotton, alfalfa and oats since grandfather W. F. Johnson settled the land in 1919.

To qualify for a Centennial Farm or Ranch Award, a property must be occupied by a family member for at least 100 years and must currently be operated or occupied by a family member or leased out by a family member. The property must include a minimum of 40 acres and gross annual sales of at least $1,000. The Oklahoma Historical Society and the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry have sponsored the Centennial Farm and Ranch Awards for 31 years, in which time 64 awards have been given in Kiowa County.

For further information about the Centennial Farm and Ranch Program, please contact Shea J. Otley at 405-522-4485 or sjotley@okhistory.org.

The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people. Founded in 1893 by members of the Territorial Press Association, the OHS maintains museums, historic sites and affiliates across the state. Through its research archives, exhibits, educational programs and publications the OHS chronicles the rich history of Oklahoma. For more information about the OHS, please visit www.okhistory.org.

###





⇐ Back to the press room