The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture
Situated in Blaine County, Greenfield is located on U.S. Highway 281 nine miles southeast of Watonga, the county seat. Greenfield was established at noon on April 19, 1892, when the Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation was opened for non-Indian occupation. Named in honor of the first postmaster, William Henry Greenfield, the town's first post office was established on January 30, 1900. Authority for the post office was rescinded in May 1900, and it was not reestablished until September 27, 1901. The Enid and Anadarko Railway (later the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway) built the first railroad line in 1901. Two freight and four passenger trains served the community on a daily basis.
Greenfield provided a trade center for the surrounding agricultural area. The town had two hardware stores, four general merchandise stores, garages, filling stations, cafés, a cotton gin, an elevator, and a bank. The first bank, established in 1908, failed and closed in 1923. Another bank, founded in 1924, was later sold to Watonga State Bank. Early-day newspapers included the Greenfield Hustler and the Greenfield Booster. In 1908 in anticipation of an oil boom, several other businesses opened, including a hotel, a general store, a pool hall, and a butcher shop. Settlers organized Baptist, Nazarene, and Presbyterian congregations.
Twelve students attended classes during the winter months in the first schoolhouse. The teacher's salary, usually fifty dollars, was paid on a voluntary basis. Eventually, a four-room building was constructed and enlarged as additional space was needed. A high school was erected in 1921 and a grade school in 1930. At that time there were twelve teachers. The Greenfield schools held their last commencement in May 1991. No census was made until 1940,when the residents numbered 303. In 1960 Greenfield had 128 residents. With a population of 123 at the turn of the twenty-first century, Greenfield served as a "bedroom" community. The 2010 population stood at 93. The Greenfield Baptist Church celebrated it centennial in August 2004.
"Greenfield," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.
Their Story: A Pioneer Days Album of the Blaine County Area (N.p.: Heritage Book Committee, 1977).
Browse By TopicUrban Development
The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Carol Wray, “Greenfield,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=GR023.
© Oklahoma Historical Society