Home |  PublicationsEncyclopedia |  Hastings

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture


Hastings is a town located in northwestern Jefferson County, Oklahoma. It is situated on State Highway 5, nine miles northwest of Waurika and some five miles north of the Red River. Hastings was incorporated in 1902, the same year in which its post office was established. In 2000 it was an agricultural community with a population of 155.

The community was orginally called Bayard. Its first resident was George Andrews. On August 6, 1901, the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache Reservation was opened for settlement. Before that date Andrews had placed himself just west of the present Hastings townsite. There he pitched a tent and sold groceries to individuals traveling to Fort Sill to register for homestead claims. J. A. Marley built Bayard's first residence, a dugout, in September 1901. Indian Territory already had a Baird community, so postal officials changed Bayard's designation to avoid confusion. A couple suggested Hastings in honor of their Nebraska hometown, and the name was accepted. A townsite company was formed, and the sale of lots began. The Enid and Anadarko Railway reached Hastings in 1902.

Hastings had 560 residents in 1907. By 1910 that number was 727 and the town was at its height. Local farmers grew wheat, corn, and cotton, while others participated in the poultry and dairy industries. Businesses included two banks, two cotton gins, two grain elevators, and a brick company. For entertainment there was an opera house, a swimming pool, and a movie theater. Newspapers were the Free Lance, the Hastings News, the Hastings Telegraph, and the Hastings Herald. The Southwest Academy preparatory school was established at Hastings in 1903. It closed after about three years and reopened as Hastings Baptist College. In 1912 the facility was relocated to Mangum, Oklahoma, and became Southwest Baptist College.

Hastings began to decline after 1910. With limited job opportunities, the population fell from 629 in 1920 to 164 in 1990. The city school closed in the 1960s. By 2000 a post office, the city hall, and some buildings remained. In 2010 the census registered 143 inhabitants.

Jon D. May


Jim M. Dyer, History of Jefferson County, Oklahoma (N.p.: N.p., 1957).

"Hastings," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City. Hunter James,

"Hastings, Oklahoma, A City of Schools," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 7 (September 1908).

Browse By Topic

Urban Development




The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Jon D. May, “Hastings,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry?entry=HA050.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.