Home |  PublicationsEncyclopedia |  Snyder

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

Snyder's residential section in early years
(18827.222, Albertype Collection, OHS).


Located in southern Kiowa County, the community of Snyder is situated at the junction of U.S. Highways 183 and 62, twenty-eight miles south of Hobart, twenty-two miles east of Altus, and thirty-six miles west of Lawton. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway runs east and west through town, and the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway (Frisco) extends north and south.

A dispute between the citizens of Mountain Park and Charles G. Jones of Oklahoma City, president of the Oklahoma City and Western Railroad, led him to establish a townsite two miles south of Mountain Park in 1902. Many of the businesses in Mountain Park moved to the new community, which was named Synder in honor of Bryan Snyder of the Frisco railway. The town's first business building was a saloon, and a post office opened in May 1902. Cotton, corn, wheat, and hay harvests were important to the economy. Early newspapers included the Snyder Signal Star, the Otter Valley News, and the Kiowa County Democrat.

In 1905 a tornado devastated Snyder and killed 113 people. Among the dead were Snyder public schools' superintendent Dr. Charles Hibbard and his family. Fires in 1906 and 1909 destroyed most of the wooden structures along Main Street. The charred frame buildings were promptly replaced with fire-resistant brick edifices. Community growth was constant but slow through the years. One of Snyder's illustrious residents was Col. Jack L. Treadway, a Medal of Honor recipient in World War II.

Snyder's population at 1907 statehood was 679. That figure grew to 1,122 in 1910. In 1920 and 1930 the numbers remained stable at 1,197 and 1,195, respectively. The number of residents increased from 1,278 in 1940 to 1,671 in 1970. Peaking at 1,848 in 1980 the population declined to 1,619 in 1990 and to 1,509 in 2000. Into the twenty-first century Snyder, with its mayoral form of government, remained a busy town in ranching and farming country. The 2010 population was 1,394.

Ethel Crisp Taylor


Clarence W. Gould, "Home Making in the Southwest," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 8 (March 1909).

Hobart (Oklahoma) Democrat-Chief, 4 August 1925.

A. Jesse Holhauser, "Snyder, Oklahoma," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 3 (October 1906).

Walter McComas, "Snyder, Oklahoma," Sturm's Oklahoma Magazine 5 (November 1907).

Pioneering in Kiowa County, Vol. 1 (Hobart, Okla.: Kiowa County Historical Society, 1975).

"Snyder," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Browse By Topic

Urban Development




The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Ethel Crisp Taylor, “Snyder,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry?entry=SN002.

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.