Home |  PublicationsEncyclopedia |  Tulsa Rig and Reel Manufacturing Company

The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture


The Tulsa Rig and Reel Manufacturing Company was established in 1908 in Tulsa as a supplier of oil-field equipment, rig timbers, and lumber for oil field construction. In 1911 Charles W. Flint (1884–1950) became associated with the company, and by 1919 he and Roy Lundy (1877–1956) assumed its ownership. They expanded its operation, which at peak operated thirty-one oil-field lumberyards in Oklahoma. In 1938 the partners established a general construction division. With the advent of World War II Tulsa Rig and Reel became deeply involved in military construction, building a training camp at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, and air bases at both Dodge City and Garden City, Kansas. In 1944 Flint became sole owner of the company, and by the time of his death on August 5, 1950, the company was disposing of its oil-field lumberyards and opening home-builder supply centers in both Denver, Colorado, and Tulsa, as well as continuing in the general construction business. In 1972 when the company name was changed to Flintco, Inc., as one of the Flint Industries' group of companies, they disposed of their building supply operation and focused on general construction. At the beginning of the twenty-first century Flintco continued to be owned by the Flint family and was the second largest construction company in Oklahoma, behind Manhattan. Flintco had offices in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Tennessee, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sacramento, California, and Springfield, Missouri.

Bobby D. Weaver


Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City), 11 April 1948, 7 August 1950, and 25 April 1956.

Clarence B. Douglas, The History of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Vol. II (Chicago, Ill.: Clarke, 1921).

"Tulsa—Business—Construction—Flintco," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Browse By Topic

Industry and Business


The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Bobby D. Weaver, “Tulsa Rig and Reel Manufacturing Company,” The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry?entry=TU014.

Published January 15, 2010

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.