Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Fort Smith and Western Railway

FORT SMITH AND WESTERN RAILWAY.

The incentive for building the Fort Smith and Western Railway was the presence of vast bituminous coal fields in the Ouachita Mountains of the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory. To connect the coal lands around McCurtain with the Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Gulf, the Fort Smith and Western (FS&W) was incorporated in 1899 by Henry Clay Frick and the Andrew J. Mellon interests, who owned the coal leases. Soon the railroad was extended westward to tap the rich prairie lands around Guthrie, the major town in Oklahoma Territory, which was reached in 1903.

Traffic turned out to be disappointing, however, and the FS&W decided to extend westward by buying the St. Louis, El Reno and Western Railway (SLER&W), which had a forty-two-mile line from Guthrie to El Reno, on the north-south main line of the Rock Island. The hoped-for bridge traffic did not materialize, and local traffic was nonexistent. Income remained insufficient, and plans for further expansion had to be shelved.

The FS&W went bankrupt in 1915, but the receiver managed to negotiate running rights over the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line from Fallis into Oklahoma City. For a time, freight traffic indeed grew. Reorganization in 1921 did not really change the picture, but to cut losses the SLER&W was abandoned in 1924. Unfortunately, the FS&W itself entered a new receivership in 1931.

The economic plight of Oklahoma worsened in the 1930s during the Great Depression, and the only solution for the FS&W turned out to be complete abandonment. In 1939 the company was dissolved and the line dismantled. Only the twenty-one-mile portion between Coal Creek and McCurtain was purchased by the Kansas City Southern and operated by them as the Fort Smith and Van Buren Railway.

Augustus J. Veenendaal, Jr.

See also: HIGHWAYS, RAILROADS, TRANSPORTATION

Bibliography

Keith L. Bryant, Jr., "Railroad Redundant: The Fort Smith & Western Railway," Railroad History 174 (Spring 1996).

Preston George and Sylvan R. Wood, The Railroads of Oklahoma, Bulletin No. 60, The Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Inc. (Boston, Mass.: Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Inc., 1943).

Donovan L. Hofsommer, ed., Railroads in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Historical Society, 1977).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Augustus J. Veenendaal, Jr., "Fort Smith and Western Railway," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 21, 2017).

Links of Interest


About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia