Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

HOLY TRINITY GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH (Tulsa).

Tulsa's Greek population derived from the influx of Greeks to America after the turn of the twentieth century. Many of Tulsa's Greeks brought with them the Greek or Eastern Orthodox communion of the Christian faith. These individuals and families incorporated the Eastern Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity on May 20, 1925, and initiated a fund drive to raise money for purchasing property and building a church edifice. Ultimately, they bought three lots at Eleventh and Guthrie, and in May 1927 ground was broken for Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. The first service was held in the new building in March 1928. During World War II the Holy Trinity parish was involved in war work, assisting the American Red Cross and the Community Chest. After the war, in the late 1940s the congregation participated in the Greek War Relief effort during that nation=s civil war. In 1968-69 the parish built and moved into a new church at 1222 South Guthrie, and the first services were held there on September 21, 1969. Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church members participated in several support organizations early in the church's history, including the Hellenic Women's Society, Daughters of Penelope, Maids of Athens, Sons of Pericles, and Greek Orthodox Youth of America. Church members also participate in the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, a nationwide group that promotes education about Greek heritage and encourages philanthropy and civic responsibility among Greek Americans.  Since the early 1960s the church has annually hosted a Greek Festival to celebrate Hellenic culture in Oklahoma.

Dianna Everett

See also: IMMIGRATION, RELIGION

Bibliography

Connie Costopoulous and Kathryn Drummond, History of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Tulsa, Oklahoma (Tulsa, Okla.: N.p., 1982).

Robert G. Stephanopoulos, The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (N.p.: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, 1983).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Dianna Everett, "Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 22, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia