Home > PublicationsEncyclopedia >  Sts. Cyril and Methodius Russian Orthodox Church

STS. CYRIL AND METHODIUS RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH.

Significant for its architecture, the Russian Orthodox church originally called "Saints Cyril and Methodius Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church" was first built in Hartshorne in 1897 at Third and Modoc streets. It was erected on a place deemed "Russian Hill" because of the nationality of its residents. The original Carpatho-Russian parishioners of the church had immigrated to the United States and then came to Hartshorne, in the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory, to mine coal. In 1917 they constructed the present building, and the parish reached its high point in membership with seventy-five families. The red brick church's design, reminiscent of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, includes stained-glass windows and three "onion" domes topped with crosses. With the onset of the Great Depression and the decline of coal mining, many members of the church left the area to search for other employment. At the beginning of the twenty-first century the church had an average of ten worshipers every Sunday; most of these faithful were elderly. The edifice remains an important reminder of the impact of coal mining on the state's diverse religious and ethnic heritage. Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church is Oklahoma's only representative in the Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of the South.

William Lynch

See also: COAL, IMMIGRATION, RELIGION, SETTLEMENT PATTERNS, UKRAINIANS

Bibliography

Michael Hightower, "The Road to Russian Hill," The Chronicles of Oklahoma 63 (Fall 1985).

"Sts.Cyril and Methodius Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church, Hartshorne, Oklahoma," Church Histories, Pittsburg County, D.A.R. Files, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.

Gary L. Watters, "From Russia to Oklahoma: A Case Study of the Immigrant Experience" (M.A. thesis, Oklahoma State University, 1974).

Copyright and Terms of Use

No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.

Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society. This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.

Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia and part or in whole.

Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society and are held in the agency's Research Division Photograph Archives (unless otherwise stated).


Citation

The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
William Lynch, "Sts. Cyril and Methodius Russian Orthodox Church," The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org (accessed November 24, 2017).

About the Encyclopedia | Terms of Use | Using the Encyclopedia