Home |   About OHS |  Historical Marker Program

OHS Historical Marker Program

If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.

Marker Application Process



Search Results

Your search returned 8 results.

Chief Pushmataha
Wagoner County
Location: on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge
Material: Granite
Chief Pushmataha led a Mississippi Choctaw hunting expedition to the area in January of 1807 and attacked armed men under the leadership of French trader Joseph Bogy. Pushmataha County, in southeastern Oklahoma, is named for this great Choctaw leader.




First Brick Building
Wagoner County
Location: on OK-51 in downtown Wagoner
The first permanent brick building in Wagoner stands at this site.




Koweta Mission
Wagoner County
Location: on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge
Reverend R. M. Loughridge founded this Creek Indian school in 1843 and named it for an ancient Creek town in Alabama.




Oklahoma's First Baptist Church
Wagoner County
Location: on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River bridge
A Baptist congregation was established here in 1832.




Texas Road
Wagoner County
Location: on OK-16 north of Verdigris River in Okay (DAR)
A monument commemorates the Texas Road, the most ancient trail through Oklahoma, the Three Forks trading post, the Creek and Osage agencies, and Washington Irving's visit to the area.




Tullahassee Mission
Wagoner County
Location: on US-69, 1/4 mile north of Arkansas River
Material: Aluminum
Tullahassee was established as a Creek mission by Presbyterian Reverend R. M. Loughridge in 1848. Alice Robertson, later Oklahoma's first congresswoman and the first woman postmaster in America, was born here.




Wagoner
Wagoner County
Location: at intersection of US-69 and OK-51 in Wagoner
Material: Granite
In 1896, Wagoner became Indian Territory's first incorporated town. The following year, the territory's first public schools began here.




Wigwam Neosho
Wagoner County
Location: on US-69, one mile north of Arkansas River bridge
Material: Granite
Wigwam Neosho was a trading post from 1829–33, named and operated by Sam Houston, Ex-Gov. of Tennessee and future president of the Republic of Texas. Houston was called Colonneh (The Raven) by his Cherokee friends. American author Washington Irving visited Houston in 1832 as he made notes for his book, A Tour of the Prairies, now an Oklahoma classic.




(Page 1 of 1)



Search for Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.




Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County