Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 9 results.
Bernard de La Harpe 1719
Location: on US-270, five miles east of Hartshorne
The French explorer Bernard de La Harpe came north from Louisiana seeking trade with the Wichita Indians. He camped three miles east of Hartshorne on August 25, 1719, on his way north to the Canadian River and Wichita villages.
CCC-Robbers Cave State Park
Location: in Robbers Cave State Park
Members of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed Robbers Cave State Park in the 1930s on land donated by State Representative Carlton Weaver, who is buried in the main park circle. Carlton Lake is named for him.
Location: seven miles northeast of Red Oak
In 1857, Congress created the Butterfield Overland Mail Route to carry mail and passengers between St. Louis, Missouri, and Memphis, Tennessee, and points west. It was the first real transcontinental link between the Atlantic states and the Pacific Coast of the United States. There were twelve stations along a 197-mile route in Oklahoma, including Edwards Store, the log home of Thomas Edwards. The first Red Oak post office was opened here on March 11, 1868, with Edwards as postmaster.
Location: three miles northeast of Red Oak
Holloway's Station was a stage stand along the Butterfield Overland Mail Route at the "Narrows." See Edwards Store.
Kiamichi Baptist Assembly
Location: three miles north of Talihina at campground (OBHC)
The Kiamichi Baptist Assembly campground was established in July 1941.
Location: about thirteen miles southwest of Wilburton, Latimer County, at top of Blue Mountain on the county road, west side from gate to Mountain Station Cemetery
Old Ft. Smith-Boggy Depot Road. A stage stand for changing horses and a toll road over this mountain pass were established here in 1866 under Choctaw law. This road was the Butterfield Overland Mail route in 1858–61.
Location: southwest of Higgins
Pusley's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route south of Gaines Creek. See Edwards Store.
Location: on county road at Old Riddle Cemetery
Riddle's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route east of Wilburton at the community of Lutie. See Edwards Store.
Location: at Latham, eight miles west of Shady Point
Trahern's Station was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route west of Shady Point at the community of Latham. See Edwards Store.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.