Home |   About OHS |  Historical Marker Program

Historical Marker Program

Search Results

Your search returned 22 results.

Baker's Ranch
Kingfisher County
Location: the west side of  US-81, four miles south of Hennessey
Coordinates: 36°03'23.3"N 97°53'58.3"W, (36.0564576,-97.8995264)
Material: Granite
Site one-half mile west. This ranch station, noted water place on the old Chisholm Trail, was attacked in the last Indian Wars and found deserted a few days later, July 5, 1874, by Indian Agent J. D. Miles, who asked for U.S. Cavalry to guard the trail in this section. This site was laid out in 1890 as Baker City, a ghost town now.

Big Four School
Kingfisher County
Location: east of Kingfisher on State Hwy 33 on SE corner of SE 1/4 of 14-16-6
Material: Granite
Big Four School, located three miles north, was formed on March 17, 1920, by a special election vote to consolidate the districts of White Cap, Twilight, Wandell, and Bird Creek. The school graduated its first senior class in 1924; its last in 1968. It continued as a grade school until closing in May 1978.

Bull Foot Station
Kingfisher County
Location: west of US-81 in Bull Foot Park, Hennessey
Coordinates: 36°06'01.2"N 97°54'01.5"W, (36.1003327,-97.9004032)
Material: Granite
On the old Chisholm Trail, this station was noted for its water well. The name from a huge indentation in the ground here, resembling imprint of a bull's foot. Buildings were still standing on site, 50 yards east of the old trail, and 4.5 miles south of the north line of the Oklahoma land, which was opened to settlers by the great run, April 22, 1889.

Chisholm Trail
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 at north edge of Dover
Material: Granite
A pioneer merchant, trader, and explorer, Jesse Chisholm, a mix-blood Cherokee, established a trail through western Indian Territory before the Civil War. Texas cattlemen used the trail until the late 1880s to move millions of cattle to northern markets. The trail ran from Montague County, Texas, to Abilene, Kansas.

First Rural Mail Route
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey
Coordinates: 36°06'39.0"N 97°53'57.6"W, (36.1108233,-97.8993253)
Material: Aluminum
Oklahoma's 1st rural mail route was established at Hennessey on August 15, 1900, with Albert W. Darrow as carrier, his salary at $500 a year. J. A. Felt was the Hennessey postmaster. Route ran east over 24 miles, serving population of 700, in 31 square miles.

Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81, present grounds of the post office in Kingfisher
Coordinates: 35°51'51.5"N 97°55'58.1"W, (35.8643008,-97.9328127)
Material: Aluminum
This was U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of “Old Oklahoma,” April 22, 1889; also, at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J. C. Robberts was first Register and J. V. Admire, first Receiver. First post office, Lisbon, established April 20, 1899; name changed to Kingfisher, July 18, 1889.

Kingfisher College
Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-33 on east side of Kingfisher
Material: Aluminum
The Congregationalists founded the Kingfisher College in 1890. When the school closed in 1922, its endowment was transferred to the University of Oklahoma to fund the Kingfisher Chair of Religion and Ethics.

Kingfisher Stage Station
Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-33, one mile west of Kingfisher
Material: Aluminum
This stage stop on the old Chisholm Trail from 1867 to 1889 and the town were named for King Fisher, owner of the station. See Chisholm Trail.

Kingfisher-US Land Office
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 on grounds of Kingfisher post office
Material: Aluminum
From a land office at this location, the federal government prescribed rules and regulations governing the opening of the Unassigned Lands in central Oklahoma on April 22, 1889. The office also registered claims for the April 19, 1892, opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands.

Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-51, ten miles west of Hennessey at the bridge
The town of Lacey was named for Congressman John F. Lacey of Iowa, chairman of the House Public Lands Committee, who crafted much of the legislation that allowed the opening of lands in Oklahoma to public settlement.

Massacre of Pat Hennessey
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey
Coordinates: 36°06'41.0"N 97°53'56.8"W (36.111395, -97.899118)
Material: Aluminum
Freighter Pat Hennessey's charred body tied to his wagon wheel was found in a smoldering fire near 3 of his drivers, all killed on Jul 6, 1874, in last Indian wars when his train was on way along Chisholm Trail to Kiowa Agency. Grave is 2 blocks west.

Oklahoma Historical Society Birthplace
Kingfisher County
Location: on grounds of county courthouse at Kingfisher
Material: Aluminum
The Oklahoma Press Association founded the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS) at its convention in Kingfisher on May 27, 1893. The purpose of the new organization was to preserve files on all publications of Oklahoma and Indian territories and documents relating to the history of the region. The OHS headquarters remained in Kingfisher until 1895 when it was moved to Norman. The OHS moved to Oklahoma City in 1901.

Red Fork Ranch 1872–1889
Kingfisher County
Location: at Hwy-81 and Red Ford Drive, Dover
Material: Granite
On this site once stood the trading post known as the Red Fork Ranch. The original ranch building was constructed in 1872 by the Lee and Reynolds Company. Over the following years, the ranch was operated by a number of different individuals, the last being John G. Chapin, who was operating the ranch when the Unassigned Lands were opened on April 22, 1889. Chapin formally claimed the homestead which included the townsite of Dover and which was platted by him in 1892. John Chapin could well be characterized as "the father of Dover".

Red Fork Station
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 in Dover
Coordinates: 35°59'12.6"N 97°54'31.4"W, (35.9868352,-97.9087232)
Material: Aluminum
The stage station and supply depot was an important shipping point for cattle moving up to the Chisholm Trail. Soldiers from Fort Sill fortified Red Fork during the Cheyenne and Arapaho uprising in 1874. The station was named for the first name of the Cimarron River-Red Fork of the Arkansas. See Chisholm Trail.

Roy V. Cashion
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81 in Memorial Park in Hennessey
Coordinates: 36°06'40.1"N 97°53'56.9"W, (36.111145, -97.899130)
Material: Aluminum
Roy V. Cashion, 1st Okla. Vol. U.S. Cavalry. After his regiment helped in the victory at Las Quasimas, Cuba, he was killed as he charged over San Juan Hill, July 1, 1898, in the Spanish-American War. This Oklahoma boy—Hennessey High School graduate—rode horse-back to Guthrie, and enlisted on May 5, 1898, in “Rough Riders” under Col. Theodore Roosevelt.

Run of '89 North Boundary
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81, three miles north of Hennessey on Garfield-Kingfisher County line
Coordinates: 36°09'51.8"N 97°53'24.2"W, (36.1643744,-97.8900608)
Material: Aluminum
At the opening of “Old Oklahoma,” April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the RUn starting at 12 o’clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, south, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall.

Run of '89 West Boundary
Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-51, three miles west of Lacey
The north-south line marked the west boundary of the two million acres of the Unassigned Lands settled by land run on April 22, 1889.

Run of '92
Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-33, two miles west of intersection with US-81
Material: Aluminum
The Cheyenne-Arapaho lands were opened to public settlement on April 19, 1892, by land run. The east boundary of the area was longitude 98 degrees west at this location.

Run of '93 South Boundary
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81, three miles north of Hennessey on Garfield-Kingfisher County line
This site marks the east-west boundary line between the Unassigned Lands, opened on April 22, 1889, and the Cherokee Outlet, opened on September 16, 1893.

Rural Electrification
Kingfisher County
Location: on US-81, one mile north of Kingfisher
Coordinates: 35°53'39.7"N 97°56'01.0"W, (35.8943648,-97.9336192)
Material: Aluminum
Consumers Rural Electric Company was formed on December 23, 1936, and established the first rural electric cooperative in Oklahoma (later known as Cimarron Electric Cooperative). On Christmas Eve of 1937, the first home in Oklahoma to receive power from a rural electric cooperative was that of Earl Harrison.

Kingfisher County
Location: on OK-51, ten miles north of Hennessey
Material: Aluminum
At the opening of the Unassigned Lands to homesteaders on April 22, 1889, a quarter-section in the Skeleton Township was reserved for a townsite named in honor of Lieutenant General Philip H. Sheridan. The town flourished until 1902 when Marshall became the rail center of the area.

Unassigned Lands
Kingfisher County
Location: 3 1/2 miles north of Hennessey on the east side of US-81

(Page 1 of 1)

Search for Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.

Browse by County

Latimer County
Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County

To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.

Marker Application Process

Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.

Report Missing or Damaged Markers