Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 9 results.
Battle of Cabin Creek
Location: on US-69, one mile south of Craig-Mayes County line
The first Battle of Cabin Creek was fought July 1 and 2, 1863, where Cabin Creek crossed the old Fort Gibson Military Road. The second battle occurred September 18, 1864, when 2,000 Confederate troops under Brigadier General Stand Watie captured a 130-wagon federal supply train carrying $1.5 million in goods. This was the last major Civil War engagement in Indian Territory.
Battle of Locust Grove
Location: on OK-33 on east side of Locust Grove in parkway at "Pipe Spring," SH 33
On July 2, 1862, federal troops under Colonel William Weer surprised a Confederate encampment here. The Southerners led by Colonel J. J. Clarkson surrendered, but heavy fighting continued throughout the day in nearby woods between Union troops and Confederate soldiers who escaped the raid.
Cabin Creek Battlefield
Location: on US-69 north of Patton
Emplacements can still be seen where cannons were set to defend the crossing of Cabin Creek. There are many unmarked graves of soldiers who died when General Stand Watie's Confederate troops captured a Federal supply train on September 18, 1864. Earlier, in July 1863, the Confederates were defeated in a small skirmish here.
Location: on public school grounds in Salina
Auguste Chouteau and his brother, Pierre, traded with the Arkansas band of Osage in the Three Forks area where the Arkansas, Verdigris, and Grand Rivers merge. Colonel A. P. Chouteau—Pierre's son and the fourteenth man to graduate from the US Military Academy at West Point— built a trading post on the Grand River in 1817, recognized as the oldest permanent American settlement in what became Oklahoma. He built a home near the trading post on the eastern bank of the Grand River.
Jean Pierre Chouteau Bridge
Location: on US-69 at edge of Salina
The Chouteau family had extensive holdings which included salt works and trading posts. Jean Pierre and his brother, Auguste, from a base in St. Louis, Missouri, traded with Osages in the area.
Location: on US-64, four miles south of Pryor
Born in Virginia about 1783, Nathaniel Pryor was related to family of Jefferson Davis and a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803. He re-entered the army in 1813 as a 1st Lieutenant and discharged as Captain in 1815. Pryor entered into Indian trade at Three Forks on the Verdigris and soon became one of the most noted figures of early Oklahoma history. He was the first to bring fine Kentucky horses to Oklahoma.
Location: at Salina High School
A large monument erected in 1916 to commemorate Oklahoma's first white settlement was used as a cornerstone during construction of Salina High School.
Location: on US-69, two miles of Chouteau
The mission was organized for the Osage in 1820 and the future state's first school opened for classes on September 1, 1821. On the grounds is what is believed to be the oldest marked grave in Oklahoma, that of Reverend Epaphras Chapman, a victim of typhus on June 7, 1825. The first printing press in present-day Oklahoma was located at Union Mission.
Location: inside Union Mission Cemetery south of Chouteau south of Mazie Landing Road (DAR)
Sponsored by: Daughters of the American Revolution
This is the burial ground of members of missionary families who died at Union Mission from 1822 to 1825. The mission was a pioneer institution, the site of the state's first church and school.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.