Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 7 results.
Location: on OK-96 in Burneyville
The school, once known as Red River School, was a subscription school when it was founded in 1880s It closed in 1957.
Location: on OK-32, 3 1/4 miles east of Jefferson County line
Originally serving students in the town of Courtney, the school closed in 1928 when the county border changed and several small schools were consolidated.
Location: on OK-32 at Ennville
Born in Mississippi, Pickens came west with the Chickasaws in 1837 and was their first elected chief after the nation removed to Indian Territory. Pickens County in the Chickasaw Nation was named for him.
Enon Baptist Association
Location: at Leon Baptist Church in Leon (OBHC)
In August 1885, the Enon Baptist Association was founded at Wilson Creek Church in the Chickasaw Nation.
Love County Courthouse
Location: on OK-32 east of US-77 junction
The cornerstone of the first county courthouse built after statehood was laid on April 29, 1910.
Location: on county road, three miles north and three miles west of Marietta
This community school served area children from 1930 to 1958. It was created when schools from the Bowles, Eastman, Marsden, and New Hope districts were consolidated.
Post Oak School
Location: on OK-76, 17 miles west and nine miles north of Marietta
The Post Oak school existed from 1916 to 1950 and was part of a joint district that served students in Love and Carter Counties.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.