Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 3 results.
Location: on OK-32, 1 1/2 miles east of Lebanon
The school was opened as a learning center for Chickasaw girls in 1859 under the supervision of the Cumberland Presbyterian Board. In 1887, the name was changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School. The first post office, called Burney Academy, opened on July 3, 1860.
Location: on US-70 at west side of Kingston
This frontier post was named for Brigadier General Henry Leavenworth, commander of the Dragoon Expedition through Oklahoma in 1834. Leavenworth died nearby after being injured in a buffalo hunt. Some historians call the 1834 expedition the greatest expeditionary force in the annals of the US Army.
Red River Bridge
Location: in Colbert City Park, Colbert, Oklahoma
The Red River bridge, constructed in 1931, was the site where Oklahoma Governor William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray defied a federal court injunction and stood with National Guard troops to make the toll bridge a free bridge. It became the first free bridge across the Red River. The structure was replaced with a new bridge in 1996.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.