Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 9 results.
Location: nrth of Pine Top School
In 1857, Congress created the Butterfield Overland Mail Route to carry mail and passengers between St. Louis, Missouri, and Memphis, Tennessee, and points west. It was the first real transcontinental link between the Atlantic states and the Pacific Coast of the United States. There were twelve stations along a 197-mile route in Oklahoma, including Blackburn's Station.
Location: on North A Street in McAlester
Educated in a one-room schoolhouse at Bugtussle, Carl Albert became the highest-ranking Oklahoman ever to serve in the federal government. A Rhodes scholar, Albert was a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives from Oklahoma's Third Congressional District and rose to the position of Speaker of the House.
Choctaw-Chickasaw Woman's Missionary Union
Location: at the intersection of Monroe Street and Strong Boulevard in McAlester (OBHC)
Baptist women's work in Oklahoma began in 1876 with the organization of the Choctaw-Chickasaw Woman's Missionary Union.
Cutthroat Gap Massacre
The Cutthroat Gap Massacre site is approximately 2.5 miles east of this marker. In the early summer of 1833, the summer before "The Stars Fell", an Osage war party attacked an undefended Kiowa camp. The camp of Islandman A'D'Ate, Principal Chief of the Kiowa, consisted of women, children, the elderly, and a few warriors. Most of the warriors were on a raid against the Utes while others were hunting buffalo. The Osage tracked Islandman's band from Saddle Mountain through the mountains to the camp site.
Location: on OK-31 near Blocker
The J.R. Hughes Ranch was founded in 1904 and occupied more than 25,000 acres where up to 4,000 head of cattle grazed. The ranch began when Hughes unloaded 3,000 cattle at Reams Switch in Indian Territory and turned them out into the open range. The ranch is now known as the James M. Collins Wildlife Management Area.
J. E. Wright
Location: on US-69 at south edge of Savanna
J.E. Wright opened the first permanent dental office in Indian Territory in Savanna in 1885. He was co-founder of the Indian Territory Dental Association.
J. R. Hughes Ranch
Location: on SH-31 near Blocker
Historically known as the J. R. Hughes Ranch, the James M. Collins Wildlife Management Area occupies over 25,000 acres. At its zenith, 4,000 head of cattle grazed the land enclosed by more than 125 miles of fence. The Hughes Ranch began in 1904 when J. R. Hughes unloaded 3,000 Texas steers at Reams Switch in Indian Territory and drove them onto the open range. The Hughes family accumulated lands near Featherston and developed what became the largest ranch in the region.
Location: on US-69, three miles south of McAlester
James Perry established an important trading post here in 1849 at the intersection of the Texas and California roads. Many famous expeditions passed through the area. A Confederate supply depot here was attacked and destroyed by Union soldiers on August 25, 1863.
Senator Gene Stipe
Location: on Stipe family home place on Peacable Mountain north of Blanco, south of McAlester
When he retired in 2003, Gene Stipe had served in a state legislature longer than anyone else in American history. He was first elected to the Oklahoma House of Representatives in 1948 and moved to the State Senate in 1957, serving as the senior member of that body for many years.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.