Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 5 results.
Bond of Friendship
Location: in the town of Skedee
Bond of Friendship. Welcome to Skedee.
Location: on US-64 at Triangle Oil and Historical Museum in Cleveland
The town of Cleveland became a boomtown in 1904 when oil was discovered nearby.
Cleveland-Pioneer Oil City
Location: on US-64 and OK-99 in Cleveland
Cleveland, established in 1894, was named for President Grover Cleveland. It became an early boomtown after oil was discovered in the immediate vicinity and in nearby Osage County in the early twentieth century.
Location: on US-64 west of Pawnee
Established in 1874, the agency supervised the Pawnee Indians who sold their lands in Nebraska and bought a reservation in present-day Pawnee County. The unallotted surplus lands of the Pawnee Reservation were opened to settlement in September 1893.
Location: in town of Skedee
Likenesses of Osage Chief Bacon Rind and Colonel E. E. Walters commemorate the cooperation of two different cultures. For many years, Walters served as the public auctioneer for oil lease rights on 160-acre tracts of the Osage Reservation, the revenue from which was distributed to the more than 2,000 Osage headrights. The auctions were held under the "million-dollar elm."
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.