Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 5 results.
Location: at north edge of Bartlesville
In 1870, Nelson F. Carr built a gristmill on the Caney River. A few years later, Jacob Bartles bought the mill and added a flour mill. The mills were the first commercial enterprises in what became the city of Bartlesville.
Frank Phillips Home
Location: at 1107 South Cherokee in Bartlesville
Phillips Petroleum Company founder Frank Phillips built the Greek Revival home in 1908.
Location: north of Washita River, four miles east of Fort Cobb
May Brothers was established in Bartlesville in 1910 in this building by H. M. May and his five sons: Ben, Max, Harry, Paul and Jacob. It is the oldest retail store in Oklahoma operated continuously by the same family.
Oklahoma's First Commercial Oil Well
Location: on the south bank of the Caney River in Johnstone Park, Bartlesville
Nellie Johnstone No. 1, the first commercial oil well in Indian Territory, was completed on April 15, 1897, by the Cudahy Oil Company on the south bank of Caney River. The site is 3.1 milies northwest of this marker.
Tom Mix Museum
Location: at 721 North Delaware, Dewey
One of the most nearly complete collections of Tom Mix memorabilia, the displays at this museum offer graphic illustrations of the early-day motion-picture industry and one of its famous stars.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.