Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 1 result.
Location: on Hwy 5, west of Expo Building in Walterson
Founded at the opening of Kiowa-Comanche-Apache lands, the original townsite of Walters was in Comanche County, SW 1/4, T-2-S, R-11-W. Its original name, McKnight, was rejected because another post office had that name. The name Walters was then chosen in honor of City Commissioner W. R. Walter in September 1901. The Town of Walters incorporated in December 1902, but the post office and depot used "Walter" until an Act of Congress in June 1917 made "Walters" official.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County
To find out more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.