Home |   About OHS |  Historical Marker Program

OHS Historical Marker Program

If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.

Marker Application Process

Search Results

Your search returned 13 results.

Canute
Washita County
Location: on I-40 in Canute
Material: Granite
Initially called Oak, this town was named for the king of Denmark. The first post office was established on February 24, 1899.




Cloud Creek
Washita County
Location: on county courthouse grounds in Cordell
The government constructed 1,140 conservation dams in the Washita River Basin, of which Cloud Creek was a part.




Cloud Creek Dam No. 1
Washita County
Location: on OK-54B in Colony
This was the first of more than 1,000 dams built in the Washita River Basin and the first of more than 10,000 flood control dams constructed in the United States by the USDA Soil Conservation Service.




Colony
Washita County
Location: on OK-54B in Colony
The town took its name from Seger Colony, founded by John Seger in 1896. See Seger Colony.




Cordell Academy
Washita County
Location: on US-183 at Third Street in Cordell
Material: Aluminum
Built in 1906 as a Dutch Reformed Church project, the school operated until 1911. The school's stated goals was to teach youth Christian living.




Cordell Christian College
Washita County
Location: at US-183 and Second Street in Cordell
The college began in 1907 and operated until 1931 under the names of Cordell College, Western Oklahoma Christian College, and Oklahoma Christian College.




Corn
Washita County
Location: on OK-54B in Corn
In 1893, forty Mennonite families settled the area and brought 'Turkey red' wheat to plant in the western Oklahoma soil. The original name of the settlement was Korn but was anglicized to Corn in 1918 during the war with Germany. The Korn Bible Academy, one of the state's oldest parochial schools, opened in 1903. The town of Corn was incorporated in 1954.




Lake Valley School
Washita County
Location: seven miles north of Gotebo on SH-54
Material: Granite
The site of Lake Valley School District #4 was located within the original East Bethel School District #15. The site was established during the school term 1892–1893 with approximately thirteen and one-half square miles.




Port School
Washita County
Location: on OK-44, six miles south of OK-44 and OK-152 junction
Material: Granite
Port School, constructed in the center of the school district, once was considered the largest consolidated school in the nation. It closed in 1966.




Red Bluff Community Church
Washita County
Location: on OK-152, five miles west of Cordell
Material: Aluminum
Area residents organized this Baptist church in 1898 and constructed the building one mile west of Red Bluff School in the early 1900s. The church served the area until the 1960s, when the building was moved into Cordell to be used as a lodge hall.




Seger Colony
Washita County
Location: on OK-152, two miles east of OK-115 junction
Material: Aluminum
Seger Colony was opened by the Cheyenne and Arapaho in 1886 under John H. Seger, a missionary widely known for his work among the Plains Indians in western Oklahoma. A school opened in 1893. Some of their original buildings can be seen in the community of Colony.




Site of first Washita County Court House
Washita County
Location: southeast of OK-54 and OK-152 junction
Material: Granite
Cloud Chief, originally Tacola, served as the first county seat. The area was settled by land run on April 19, 1892. On August 7, 1900, citizens voted to move the county seat to Cordell, but the US Supreme Court voided the election since the US Congress had designated Cloud Chief the county seat. In 1906, Congress officially named Cordell the county seat.




Tacola/Cloud Chief School
Washita County
Location: on county courthouse grounds in Cordell
Material: Granite
Created in 1892, Tacola School met in a dugout until 1894 when a 30' x 50' building was built 1/2 mile southwest of this marker. In 1918, the school moved to a new building north of this marker. During the 1921 consolidation of school districts, the name changed to Cloud Chief. The high school moved to Cordell in 1958 and the school closed in 1960.




(Page 1 of 1)

Search for Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.




Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County