Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 2 results.
Old Military Road
Location: at junction of OK-82 and OK-85, two miles west of Ketchum
The army built a system of roads in Indian Territory between forts. Near this marker traces of the road from Fort Gibson to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, can be seen.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt Stops at Vinita Katy Railroad Depot
Location: 319 East Illinois, Vinita, OK
On June 13th, 1936, President Roosevelt stopped his re-election special train in Vinita to honor citizens’ request to help fund construction of the Grand River Dam. A large, rowdy crowd estimated at 5,000 greeted him.
President Roosevelt thanked the crowd for arranging the event and said he would see what he could do about it when he returned to Washington, D.C.
In September 1937, he signed legislation for $20 million to fund the project. Construction began in February 1938. The dam was finished in 1940 and the lake filled by the end of summer.
Grand Lake O’ the Cherokees has 1,300 miles of scenic shoreline and approximately 50,000 surface acres of water. The dam is located on State Highway 28 near Langley, Oklahoma, some 14 miles southeast of this site.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County