Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Missing or Damaged Markers
Please use our online form to report missing or damaged historical markers.
Report Missing or Damaged Markers
Your search returned 4 results.
Location: three miles west of Davis, one mile south of Indian Meridian/Base Line intersection (DAR)
Sponsored by: Daughters of the American Revolution
Captain Randolph Marcy established Fort Arbuckle in April 1851. From this major army post, Marcy and George B. McClellan, later the commander in chief of the Army of the Potomac, set out to explore the source of the Red River. The post was abandoned to Confederate forces in May of 1861. After being garrisoned by US troops after the Civil War, Fort Arbuckle was abandoned in 1870.
Location: two miles south of Lindsay on SH-76 in Erin Springs
Constructed by Frank Murray, who had settled in Indian Territory in the early 1870s, the home became one of the most imposing mansions in the region. When Murray first arrived in the area there was only a small one-room shack on the bank of the Washita River, which served as a stage station, and the four-room log cabin. However, Murray soon acquired vast holdings (one field alone was three miles wide and five miles long) and built the mansion for his growing family. Occupying a prominent position on a hill, the home was furnished with all the luxuries of the period and soon became the social center of the region.
Location: on Hwy 7 (Broadway Street) in the city of Sulphur
Sponsored by: Sulphur Rotary Club
Springs in this area were first used by American Indians, wildlife, and cattlemen. In 1902 Sulphur Springs Reservation was founded, renamed Platt National Park in 1906, and became part of Chickasaw National Recreation Area in 1976. The town was moved twice to its present site in the 1920s and 1930s. Sulphur was famous for its mineral waters.
Location: on OK-19 at intersection with Williams Street in Maysville
Wiley Post lived with his family in Maysville during his childhood. In 1933 he became the first person to fly solo around the earth. He also invented the pressurized flying suit and discovered the jet stream. He is considered one of the greatest pioneers in aviation.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County