Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 3 results.
Fort HolmesHughes County
Location: on OK-48 west of Kenefic
Topics: Military, American Indians, Westward Expansion 1803–1861
This frontier fort was established by Lieutenant Theophilus Holmes who later rose to the rank of lieutenant general in the Confederate Army. Holmes built temporary barracks for troops in 1834 to serve as an advance base for troops stationed at Fort Towson. General Henry Leavenworth visited here on his 1834 expedition to the Plains Tribes.
Shawnee TownHughes County
Location: on OK-12, one mile west of Atwood
Topics: American Indians, Urban Development, Settlement Patterns, Territorial Period 1861–1907
The town was a settlement of Absentee Shawnee and Delaware on the California Road. The tribes had migrated from Ohio before 1800 and were allowed by the Choctaw National Council to remain in the area. The Absentee Shawnee occupied the site on the South Canadian River until 1857 when they moved northward to the Creek Nation and settled near Tecumseh in present Pottawatomie County.
Whipple SurveyHughes County
Location: on US-75, three to four miles south of Calvin
Note: Marker reported missing on 6/8/2023
Topics: Military, Government, Transportation, Westward Expansion 1803–1861, Arts, Natural Resources
Under instructions of Jefferson Davis, US Secretary of War, Lieutenant A. W. Whipple (later Major General, US Army) made the first railroad survey from Fort Smith to the Pacific Coast in 1853. With H. B. Mollhausen, artist, Jules Marcou, geologist, and other scientists in the party, they crossed here on August 10 from camp a few miles east near Shawnee Town.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County