Historical Marker Program
Your search returned 4 results.
Antlers TornadoPushmataha County
Location: on OK-3 at the railroad depot in Antlers
Topics: Natural Resources, Industrial Period 1841–1892
On April 12, 1945, a tornado dipped down in Antlers, killing 86 people and leaving 1,500 homeless. The tornado continued on a deadly track to the northeast.
Choctaw CapitolPushmataha County
Location: on US-271, 1 1/2 miles west of Tuskahoma
Topics: American Indians, Settlement Patterns, Westward Expansion 1803–1861, Transportation, Social/Cultu
The first Choctaw capitol, Nanih Waiya, was completed in 1838. The first Choctaw constitution was written here in 1834. At Nanih Waiya are buried the bones of the Choctaws who died en route to Indian Territory from their ancestral homeland in Mississippi in the 1830s.
Choctaw Nation Capitol BuildingPushmataha County
Location: on OK-2, one mile north of US-271 junction
Topics: American Indians, Territorial Period 1861–1907, Government
The last Choctaw capitol was erected here in 1884. The tribal government was housed in the building until statehood. The Choctaw Nation's headquarters are now located in Durant.
Hardy CreekPushmataha County
Location: Hwy-271, 7.6 miles south of Clayton, Oklahoma
Sponsored by: Leona Mars, Granddaughter
Topics: American Indians, Transportation, Indian and Frontier Trade, Water, Westward Expansion 1803–1861
Thomas Hardy, a Choctaw Indian from Nashoba, Oklahoma, camped at this creek bank before and after he went to Clayton, Oklahoma, to buy supplies. People started identifying this creek as Hardy Creek.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Le Flore County
Roger Mills County