OHS Historical Marker Program
If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.
Your search returned 34 results.
700 Ranch House
Location: on Sunset Drive in Ardmore
Ardmore's beginning is traced to the establishment of the 700 Ranch. In 1870, the Roff log house was the first building erected within what would become the city limits of Ardmore. The house was moved to its present site in 1991.
Location: on US Highway 77, north of Ardmore, Carter County
The Ardmore post office was named for Ardmore, Pennsylvania, and established on October 27, 1887, on the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, built north from Texas. Ardmore was the home of Lee Cruce, second governor of Oklahoma from 1911–1915. Hargrove College was opened by the Methodist Church in 1895 and became Carter Seminary in 1917 for Chickasaw girls. It was named for Charles D. Carter, M.C.
Ardmore Air Crash
Location: on OK-53, on the corner of Ardmore Industrial Airpark (See Ardmore Army Air Field)
On April 22, 1966, six soldiers and a crew of six died when an American Flyers Company Electra turboprop airplane crashed in the Arbuckle Mountains about "two miles and two hills" east of the Ardmore Airpark. Seventeen survived the crash. The plane was en route from Fort Ord, California, to Fort Benning, Georgia.
Ardmore Army Air Field
Location: at Ardmore Industrial Airpark, seven miles east of Exit 40 on I-35
The Ardmore Army Air Field base was built to train airmen from 1942 to 1946. From 1953 to 1958, the facility was known as the Ardmore Air Force Base. A nearby marker honors the trainees who were casualties in World War II and the Korean War.
Location: at 117 West Broadway in Ardmore
This five-story building erected in 1930 was originally called the Gilbert Building. Four radio stations, a television station, law offices, dentists, and the Ardmore Little Theater have called the building home.
Bankers National Bank Building
Location: at 100 West Main Street in Ardmore
Built in 1905, the building became a casual meeting place for early oil men seeking deals.
Bill Dalton Killing
Location: on Poolville Road, six miles north of OK-53
In 1894, US Marshal Selden Lindsey shot famous outlaw Bill Dalton here.
Bostwick Conglomerate Outcropping
Location: one mile north of US-77 and OK-142 in Ardmore
On the ten-mile stretch of US-77 north of Ardmore are markers noting the unique geological features of the area. The markers include the Woodford Shale and Chert Outcropping, Chimney Hill Limestone Outcropping, Viola Limestone Outcropping, Tulip Creek and Third Bromide Sandstone Outcropping, Basil McLish Sandstone Outcropping, and the Arbuckle-West Spring Creek Lime Outcropping.
CCC-Lake Murray State Park
Location: in Lake Murray State Park
The men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Companies 1813 and 849 lived and worked in a camp during the Great Depression and built Lake Murray State Park. The CCC was a make-work program created by Congress at the suggestion of President Franklin D. Roosevelt to help alleviate the shortage of jobs in America. Three hundred young men worked for seven years carving the rock for the Lake Murray dam, built shelters, picnic tables, roads, and trails and landscaped the park.
Daube's Department Store
Location: at 107 East Main in Ardmore
Established at this location in the early twentieth century, the Daube's Department Store was the cornerstone around which Ardmore was built. The business closed in 1990 after 102 years as Oklahoma's oldest, privately owned, family-operated business.
Dow Brazil Killing
Location: at 15 East Main in Ardmore
This sidewalk stone recounts the infamous shooting of US Marshal Dow Brazil by Deputy Sheriff Bud Ballew in 1918.
E. J. Johnson
Location: in Lake Murray State Park
E. J. Johnson designed the Memorial Bridge at Lake Murray
Eaves-Brady Log Cabin
Location: in Greater Southwest Historical Museum, 35 Sunset Drive, Ardmore
James Eaves built this one-room log cabin in 1898 and later added a second room. The cabin is typical of a pioneer home in southern Oklahoma. The Brady family, descendants of James Eaves, donated the cabin to the museum. It was disassembled and rebuilt in the museum in 2000. In the area adjacent to the museum is a marker honoring early oil well drillers.
Federal Courthouse and Jail
Location: at 200 West Main in Ardmore
Carter County's only official hanging took place outside the jail that was built in 1898.
First National Bank
Location: at 15 West Main in Ardmore
Ardmore's oldest financial institution occupied this building from 1918 to 1975.
Franklin No. 1
Location: at OK-76 and Fourth Street in Healdton
In 1913, Wirt Franklin brought this well in, marking the beginning of the great Healdton Field discovery. The well produced 100 barrels a day at 1,076 feet.
Location: at 500 Lake Murray Drive Southeast in Ardmore
Hardy Murphy gained international fame with his training of Buck, Silver Cloud, and other horses from 1930 to 1943. Ardmore's coliseum is named for Murphy.
Location: at 9th Avenue and D Street Northwest in Ardmore
Named for Bishop Robert H. Hargrove, this Methodist college was established here in 1894. After it burned in 1907, the college was rebuilt north of Ardmore.
Healdton Oil Museum
Location: on OK-76 in Healdton
Healdton was named for prominent citizen C. H. Healdton. The first post office was established in 1883. The Healdton Oil Field (1913) made the area one of the famous oil drilling sites in Oklahoma.
Hotel Wisnor/Carter-Booker Building
Location: at 15 North Washington in Ardmore
Hotel Wisnor, a fifty-room, three-story hotel built in 1884, was named in honor of Benjamin Wisnor Carter, the prominent Chickasaw Indian for whom Carter County is named. In 1903, the Carter-Booker Building was constructed at this location, providing offices for the Cotton Exchange.
Location: on US-70 at Daisy Lane in Dickson
Joseph Callaway gained international recognition as a director, critic, and Shakespearean actor.
Lake Murray Lodge
Location: at entrance to lodge in Lake Murray State Park
Lake Murray Lodge was built in 1951 during the administration of Governor Roy Turner.
Location: at 500 Lake Murray Drive Southeast in Ardmore
Locomotive 1108 brought doctors and nurses to Ardmore after the 1915 explosion that leveled most of the town's downtown business district.
Luke's Music Store
Location: at 214 West Main in Ardmore
In 1893, E. B. Luke opened his store that sold everything from victrolas to pianos. He kept six teams of horses and mules to deliver pianos and organs to customers.
Masonic Temple Building
Location: at 1 West Main in Ardmore
Built in 1896, the First National Bank originally occupied the first two floors of the Masonic Temple Building with the Masons on the third floor. Later, the Masons used the entire building and converted the third floor into a ballroom that served Ardmore residents for social events for many years.
Noble Brothers Hardware
Location: at 128 West Main in Ardmore
Noble Brothers Hardware moved to this location in 1902 from East Main Street. One of the brothers, Sam, was the father of Lloyd Noble, who established the Noble Drilling Company, Samedan Oil Company, and the Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation.
Location: across from Noble Foundation campus in Ardmore
The two-story Noble farmhouse was built in 1922 on land originally allotted by the Dawes Commission.
Location: at 2610 Noble Parkway in Ardmore
Dedicated in 1952, the core of this building remains the oldest operational building on the campus of the Noble Foundation.
Oklahoma's First Regulated Oilfield
Location: at Healdton Oil Museum
Healdtown was the first oilfield regulated by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.
Old Sulphur Spring
Location: on county road seven miles west and one mile north of exit 42 on I-35
During the settlement of Oklahoma, early travelers used this water. Later residents used the water for medicinal, drinking, and household needs.
Location: at 209 West Main in Ardmore
Jake Hamon was shot in the Randol Hotel where huge oil deals were consummated. The hotel burned in 1925.
Location: at US-70 and Daisy Lane in Dickson
Rosella Hightower is one of the state's five American Indian prima ballerinas depicted in a mural in the State Capitol in Oklahoma City. A world-renowned Chickasaw ballerina, she was born near Dickson.
Location: at 400 West Main in Ardmore
Noble Drilling Corporation secretly sent Oklahoma drilling crews to tap oil under the Sherwood Forest in England in 1943 during World War II.
Location: in community of Tatums
Tatums is one of thirteen All-Black towns, out of more than fifty that once existed, remaining in Oklahoma. While Tullahassee is reportedly the oldest, most were established between 1889 and 1907 as African Americans sought security and control of their destiny in a segregated world. Most of the towns began to decline in the 1920s and 1930s as rural African Americans faced economic hardships and began to move to urban areas. Tatums was established in 1896 and is named for Lee Tatum, the first postmaster and a United States marshal.
Search for Markers
Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.
Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.
Browse by County
Roger Mills County