Home |   About OHS |  Historical Marker Program

OHS Historical Marker Program

If you would like to learn more about the OHS Historical Marker Program or how to submit an application, please visit the OHS Historical Marker Program page.

Marker Application Process

Search Results

Your search returned 34 results.

Blue Bell Bar
Logan County
This was one of Guthrie's most popular saloons during territorial days. Cowboy star Tom Mix was a bartender at the Blue Bell before he left for Hollywood. The original frame building was replaced by the present brick structure in 1903.
GPS: 35°52'37.725   97°25'38.265
Located at Harrison Avenue and Second Street in Guthrie

Bonfils Building
Logan County
F. C. Bonfils ran his real estate business from an office in the first floor of this building and lived on the second floor. Bonfils, a descendant of Napoleon Bonaparte, was considered a con man in his early years. However, he later moved to Denver, Colorado, and co-founded the Denver Post newspaper.
GPS: 35°52'40.594 97°25'36.845
Located at 107 South Second Street in Guthrie

Brooks Opera House
Logan County
Constructed in 1899 by owner/manager James B. Brooks, this three-story limestone opera house seated 1,100 and contained ten finely appointed private boxes. It was furnished with folding upholstered chairs, steam heat, electric lights, hot and cold water, and other amenities. The adjacent Hotel Royal contained 80 guest rooms. On November 16, 1907, Governor Charles Haskell took the oath of office as the state of Oklahoma's first governor in room 47 of the hotel. Later that day, he was sworn in again in a public ceremony on the steps of the Carnegie Library.
GPS: 35°52'37.405  97°25'28.545
Located at Harrison Avenue and Wentz Avenue in Guthrie

Carnegie Library
Logan County
Constructed in 1902 with a $25,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, this restored building is now connected to the Oklahoma Territorial Museum. The last territorial governor and the first state governor took their oaths of office here. The mock wedding symbolizing the joining of Oklahoma and Indian Territory as the state of Oklahoma took place on the library steps on November 16, 1907.
GPS: 35°52'41.569  97°25'15.948
Located at 402 East Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Constitutional Convention
Logan County
Oklahoma's Constitutional Convention was held in 1906 and 1907 in the old City Hall at this site.
Located on the lawn of City Hall, 101 North Second, Guthrie (DAR)

De Steiguer Building
Logan County
Built in 1890 by the De Steiguer brothers, banking pioneers, this building was actually two buildings, constructed to look as one. This building is one of few historic downtown structures with a façade of Oklahoma native red sandstone.
GPS: 35°52'41.191   97°25'29.206
Located at Division Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

DeFord Building
Logan County
Possibly the gem of Joseph Foucart's architecture in downtown Guthrie, this building was completed in 1890. Irwin S. DeFord, the original owner, lived upstairs. In 1981, the building was given to the Logan County Historical Society.
GPS: 35°52'38.947   97°25'38.688
Located at 116 South Second Street in Guthrie

First Townsite of Marshall
Logan County
The town of Marshall began at the site of the Crossroads store on the claim of Sylvan T. Rice. The post office was established on March 1, 1890. The new townsite was occupied in 1894.
Located on OK-74E in Marshall

Foucart Building
Logan County
Built in 1891, the structure housed many retail businesses and offices, including the office of building architect Joseph Foucart.
GPS: 35°52'36.752  97°25'34.149
Located at Harrison Avenue and Division Street in Guthrie

Free Masonry
Logan County
The cornerstone for Oklahoma's first Scottish Rite Masonic Temple was laid here on October 4, 1899. The building served Masons until a new edifice was constructed at 900 East Oklahoma Avenue in 1920. The old building was razed in 1956.
GPS: 35°52'37.651" 97°25'21.223
Located at Broad Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Logan County
Guthrie was the capital of Oklahoma Territory and first capital of the state of Oklahoma, named in honor of Kansas Judge John Guthrie. The town's first post office opened on April 4, 1889. Guthrie was a station on the Santa Fe Railroad before the run of April 22, 1889. The constitutional convention was held here, and Charles Haskell, the state's first governor, was inaugurated here on November 16, 1907.
Located on US-77 in south Guthrie

Guthrie City Hall
Logan County
The cornerstone for the Guthrie City Hall building was laid on April 9, 1902. The second floor of the structure was used for Oklahoma's Constitutional Convention beginning in November 1906. The city hall was razed in 1955, and a new building was constructed.
GPS: 35°52'41.386  97°25'39.722
Located at Second Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Guthrie Daily Leader
Logan County
Built in 1891, the building became home to the Guthrie Daily Leader three years later. The paper was the prominent Democratic newspaper in Oklahoma Territory. The structure was completely remodeled in 1976.
GPS: 35°52'36.899  97°25'33.079
Located at Division Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Guthrie National Bank
Logan County
The bank was the first brick structure built in what would become Oklahoma Territory. Completed in the summer of 1889, the building housed the grand reception for a visiting congressional delegation in September of that year. In 1923, the present building replaced the original structure. The Guthrie National Bank was the first national bank chartered in either of the twin territories.
GPS: 35°52'41.199 97°25'36.063
Located at First Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Indian Meridian
Logan County
GPS: 35°56'31.581   97°14'49.531
Located at center of crossroads just beyond the east border of the Langston townsite (intersection of Logan Road and Washington Avenue)

International Building
Logan County
This building housed numerous retail establishments when it was erected in 1890. Barber F.E. Knowlton developed his famous Danderine Hair Tonic here. The building was razed in the 1960s.
GPS: 35°52'37.162   97°25'38.526
Located at Second Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Land Office
Logan County
On this site stood the federal government's land office where each of the 20,000 persons making the Land Run of 1889 had to appear and file his claim. This was also the site of the first post office in Oklahoma Territory.
GPS: 35°52'40.418   97°25'36.175
Located at Second Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Logan County
Langston is one of thirteen All-Black towns, out of more than fifty that once existed, remaining in Oklahoma. While Tullahassee is reportedly the oldest, most were established between 1889 and 1907 as African Americans sought security and control of their own destiny in a segregated world. Most of the towns began to decline in the 1920s and 1930s as rural African Americans faced economic hardships and began to move to urban areas. Langston was organized in 1890 by E. P. McCabe, who also boosted Oklahoma as an All-Black state. It takes its name from John M. Langston, a well-known educator and member of Congress. Langston became home to the Colored Agricultural and Normal University (Langston University) in 1897.
Located in city of Langston

Logan County
The Lovell Christian Church was built by area families on this site donated by the J. W. Lovell Family. The first trustees were C. J. Gragg, G. I. Pollard and W. B. Young. The church was chartered in May 1911 and dedicated on July 11, 1911, with 200 in attendance. Pastors were primarily ministerial students from Phillips University Seminary (Enid, OK). The church was closed in 1971. 50-, 60- and 90-year anniversaries of the church were celebrated in 1961, 1971, and 2001. The Town of Lovell was originally named Perth (US Post Office established in May 1889). A nearby hamlet, Standard, merged with Perth in 1902 after a Santa Fe Railroad was built nearby. The Post Office name was changed from Perth to Lovell in February 1906 after James W. Lovell platted sites on his land for town expansion.
Located nine miles north and west of Crescent, twenty-three miles north and west of Guthrie

Mineral Wells Park
Logan County
Originally called Island Park, this site received its name from the different waters developed there that reportedly had healing benefits. A huge picnic was held in the park after Oklahoma officially became the 46th state of the Union on November 16, 1907. It also was a favorite camp site for large civic and family groups.
GPS: 35°52'08.610 97°25'33.181
Located in Mineral Wells Park on south edge of Guthrie (DAR)

Logan County
The post office of Alfred was established here in 1889. The town name was changed the following year to honor Zack Mulhall, an area rancher who also started his own Wild West Show.
Located on US-77 in Mulhall

Oklahoma Building
Logan County
Completed in 1901, this imposing structure was leased to Oklahoma Territory for office space for the final four territorial governors. A basement stable for horses and carriages was the forerunner of today's parking garages.
GPS: 35°52'41.247  97°25'30.561
Located at Division Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Oklahoma Daily State Capital
Logan County
This building, completed in 1902, housed Oklahoma Territory's first newspaper and the largest printing plant west of the Mississippi River. In 1975, the building was given to the Oklahoma Historical Society.
GPS: 35°52'36.848  97°25'39.187
Located at Second Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Oklahoma Territorial Museum
Logan County
Portraying the vast panorama of the heritage of Oklahoma Territory, the museum is adjacent to the oldest Carnegie Library in the state. It was on this location that the last territorial governor, Frank Frantz, and the first state governor, Charles N. Haskell, were inaugurated. The structure is one of the best examples of territorial-era architecture
Located at 402 East Oklahoma Street in Guthrie

Post Office
Logan County
Dennis T. Flynn opened the Guthrie post office in a tent on April 23, 1889, the day after the famous run of 1889. With volunteer help, he handed out the mail. Within a few weeks, the post office was handling 3,000 letters and 1,000 newspapers daily.
Located at Second Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Reeves Brothers Casino
Logan County
This notorious gambling house opened in a tent on April 23, 1889. It was later housed in a frame building which gave way to a brick structure. For fifteen years, until prohibition at statehood, the casino never closed its doors, day or night.
Located at Second Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Rough Riders
Logan County
Located 1/2 block east of Hwy-77 on Harrison Street, Guthrie, on south side

Logan County
Logan County's only boom town was established in 1927 when the No. 1 McCully gushed in as the first mile-deep well in the state. The town declined after a refinery fire in the early 1930s.
Located on OK-51, one mile east of Kingfisher County line

Run of '89 North Border
Logan County
This east-west line notes the location of the north boundary of the Unassigned Lands which were opened for homesteading on April 22, 1889, comprising the major part of six present-day Oklahoma counties.
Located on US-77 at Logan-Noble county line, one mile north of Orlando

Same Old Moses Saloon
Logan County
This was one of the many open saloons that thrived in Guthrie before prohibition came with statehood. When prohibitionist Carry Nation threatened to wield her bar-breaking hatchet against the saloon, the owner posted a sign on the door, "All nations welcome except Carry."
Located at Second Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

Santa Fe Depot
Logan County
The first Santa Fe depot was a small red frame building on the west side of the Santa Fe tracks. The Santa Fe was the only railway into Oklahoma Territory at the time of the 1889 land run. Twenty trains brought up to 1,500 land seekers into the station on the day before the run. The present two-story red brick station was completed in 1903.
Located at 409 West Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

Smith's Two-Story Privy
Logan County
Nathanial McKay was given the right in 1899 to build a two-story brick privy on his property. McKay, who became a Guthrie developer, made the privy accessible from the second floor of adjacent buildings.
Located at Division Street and Oklahoma Avenue in Guthrie

US Government Land Office
Logan County
A frame building was erected here before the land run of 1889. Thousands of settlers wanting to claim free land were required to register here and at a similar office in Kingfisher.
Located on South Second Street in Guthrie

Victor Building
Logan County
When it was completed in 1893, the building was hailed as the finest commercial building in Guthrie. Its basement was connected to other downtown buildings by tunnel. The Joseph Foucart design was restored in the 1980s.
Located on First Street and Harrison Avenue in Guthrie

(Page 1 of 1)

Search for Markers

Search by keyword or browse by county to learn about more than 600 historical markers created to recognize key locations, events, and people in Oklahoma history.

Please note that some markers listed in this database may have been moved, damaged, or are no longer standing.

Browse by County

Le Flore County
Lincoln County
Logan County
Love County
Major County
Marshall County
Mayes County
McClain County
McCurtain County
McIntosh County
Murray County
Muskogee County
Noble County
Nowata County
Okfuskee County
Oklahoma County
Okmulgee County
Osage County
Ottawa County
Pawnee County
Payne County
Pittsburg County
Pontotoc County
Pottawatomie County
Pushmataha County
Roger Mills County
Rogers County
Seminole County
Sequoyah County
Stephens County
Texas County
Tillman County
Tulsa County
Wagoner County
Washington County
Washita County
Woods County
Woodward County